The prevalent notion about adult incontinence (AI) in society is that it's an age-related problem. However, while that is true to some degree, adult incontinence is more prevalent among middle-aged and young adults than people assume.
Findings from the International Continence Society, presented at the 4th International Consultation on Incontinence, highlighted that up to 37% of Women aged 20-39. Moreover, the urinary incontinence prevalence in men is approximately half that in women.
The self-consciousness and stigma associated with AI cause affected individuals to retreat into social isolation, including abandoning active lifestyles. However, new-age incontinence products help patients reclaim their active lifestyles. Keep reading to learn more.
How Does Incontinence Affect An Active Lifestyle?
For most people, an active lifestyle means going to the gym to lift weights and engage in other intensive exercises. While such a structured fitness routine is a healthy habit, it is only a segment of an active lifestyle.
An active lifestyle entails integrating physical activity throughout your day or being consistent with movement. Besides going to the gym, any form of movement, like walking to work or while performing errands, jogging, swimming, movement-based meditation practices, gardening, and house chores, all account for movement.
Essentially, an active lifestyle and social interactions go hand-in-hand. Therefore, drifting into social isolation due to adult incontinence robs AI patients of numerous active lifestyle elements.
Fortunately, AI products, like adult pull-ups with effective incontinence protection, provide a revolutionary way to manage the condition without compromising on an active lifestyle. The benefits of an active lifestyle include:
1. Conditioning the body by strengthening the muscles, bones, joints, heart, and lungs. Movement-based body conditioning helps improve balance, endurance, and flexibility, preventing accidental falls, especially among the aging population.
2. Help achieve and maintain a healthy body weight by triggering the body’s metabolic system to burn more food to meet the physical activity’s energy demands. A sedentary lifestyle signals the body’s metabolic system to slow down and convert more glucose into fats, enhancing adiposity or fat tissue deposition.
3. Moreover, obesity and being overweight due to physical inactivity are risk factors for some types of urinary incontinence. Therefore, physical inactivity may aggravate the condition.
4. Besides obesity, an active lifestyle lowers the risk of other metabolic conditions, like type II diabetes and cardiovascular diseases, which are also risk factors for daytime urinary incontinence.
5. Physical activity also helps improve mood and self-esteem while lowering anxiety and managing mood disorders like depression. Intentional movement or physical activity releases endorphins or feel-good hormones that bust anxiety and other negative emotions. One study established higher anxiety, depression, and low self-esteem prevalence among women with urinary incontinence than those without.
How To Identify The Best Adult Incontinence Products For An Active Lifestyle
As stated earlier, diverse adult incontinence products are available on the market to help restore dignity and a sense of security among adult incontinence patients. Such products have features to help impart comfort and confidence among consumers.
Thanks to the high demand for AI products, the adult incontinence industry is worth billions of dollars. Moreover, the fierce competition among the brands within the market niche to generate the most superior product is a significant driving force in the growing industry.
However, product quality and specifications vary, meaning not all adult incontinence products are ideal for an active lifestyle. Therefore, follow the tips below when purchasing adult diapers and other AI products to purchase the most activity-friendly products.
1. Absorption Levels
Leakage is the most significant concern among adult incontinence patients seeking to adopt an active lifestyle. The last thing anyone needs is visible incontinence on your outfit while in public.
Fortunately, adult diapers with superior absorption technology are available on the market. For example, some adult incontinence diapers utilize NASA’s maximum absorbent garment (MAG) for maximum absorption.
MAG adult diapers feature sodium polyacrylate, a super-absorbent polymer that absorbs up to 800 times its weight in distilled water. While its absorption capacity decreases with mineral content in the solution, MAG still delivers superior efficiency in wicking incontinence away from the skin.
Besides NASA’s MAG technology, other superior absorption technologies are available. Therefore, research the product’s wicking technology to purchase products that inspire the confidence to move without worrying about leakage.
The advanced absorption technologies AI product brands use allow the utilization of low-profile designs in making such products. Such low-profile designs fit discreetly under fitting clothes like body-hugging gym clothes. Besides a low profile, noise-free material also elevates the discretion element during movement.
Discreet adult diaper designs allow AI patients to overcome self-consciousness about the product potentially protruding from underneath their clothes. Therefore, they can go about their daily movements without a care.
3. Odor Lock
Besides visible incontinence, odors are a significant source of insecurity for adult diaper consumers. Consequently, some patients may refrain from engaging in physical activities like group workouts due to self-consciousness over potentially emitting incontinence odors. However, odor lock features on adult diapers trap all unsavory incontinence odors, giving the consumer the confidence to move.
4. Gender-specific Designs
The physiological differences between men and women affect the comfort levels of an AI product. Therefore, consider purchasing gender-specific adult diapers for enhanced comfort during movement.
The perfect fit is crucial for facilitating a full range of motion during physical activity. Adult diaper brands have different sizing charts, so follow the instructions to ensure you purchase the perfect fit for comfort.
Adult diapers empower incontinence patients to overcome insecurities and reclaim active lifestyles. Follow the tips above to purchase comfortable adult diapers and other AI products for confident everyday movement.